ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Monday, December 16, 2013

Gaijin Traveling in Japan 2013 Pt 5- VENDING MACHINES

Yes that IS Tommy Lee Jones in that ad.  George Clooney is there too.

One thing I really like about Japan (and there is a lot-- and don't get me wrong, there is some bad here, and I'll get to it) is the vending machines.

Walking the 2-3 miles in 40 degree weather with a strong wind it's nice to be able to find a vending machine dispensing HOT COFFEE in cans-- some of it quite good.  Some of it gourmet even.


Each row has a color tab beneath it-- blue means its a cold, red means its hot.  Can't get much easier than that can it?   While I don't usually take sugar in my coffee-- I like the one called 90%--- 90% of what I don't know, but it's good.


But I recently spotted THIS-- and had to take a second look.


Yes you are not seeing things.  HOT Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

I'm not sure who thought this was a good idea.  I've drunk warm ginger ale when I was sick, and even FLAT ginger ale for the same reason, but never once did I think "I should just pop this in the microwave for a second!".

So I didn't try it-- but my brother did.

We were at a subway stop with his wife (Veronica was off on her own) and both laughed as I got a coffee and noticed it.  Ever the enterprising fellow he popped in his 120Y and picked up the can-- he popped it open and started coughing the second the intense ginger smell floated up out of the can.

I shook my head when he offered me some, and like the days when we would be out on our own and he was about to do something I thought was wrong I gave a half hearted attempt to stop him.

He took a sip and declared it was the worst thing he's ever tasted.  I leave it up to you.  But I suspect somewhere in America a Coca Cola executive is laughing that you can sell anything to the Japanese.