ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Monday, April 22, 2013

TCM This Week: INVISIBLE MAN!



Tonight at 8pm is THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) which is one of the few musicals I like enough to have in my DVD collection.   It's about Dorothy and her dog who get trapped in an asian drug cartel and have to fight their way out running over broken glass while wearing no shoes.  Or something like that, it's been a longtime since I've seen it.  But its good.

Tuesday is THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933) at 10pm and it's great although a bit stagey.  The opening scene in the Inn is worth watching alone so give it 20 minutes and maybe you'll stick around for the whole thing.  It's Claude Rains first film and he hams it up in a good way.

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962) is on at 1130pm but you'd have to be insane to try watching it that late-- it's a LOOOOONNNGG movie.

But if you make it all the way through and decide to stay up GUNGA DIN is on after it at 330am and that's a classic from 1939 and the inspiration for a lot of action films to come.  It's about Cary Grant getting magically transported back to a land of tiny people and a yellow brick road and all he wants to do is come home- or something like that.  Haven't seen this on in a while either.

THE GREAT LIE is on Friday at 8pm and it's about a woman who is pregnant with a downed flyer's baby-- its a soap opera like they could only make 'em in 1941 with Bette Davis and Mary Astor and I guarantee if you get into it you won't be able to turn it off.

Saturday has A DATE WITH THE FALCON (1941) at 1045am and thats a nifty little programmer with George Sanders as the suave detective.

TARANTULA (1955) is on at 145pm and that's a pretty good film from an era when radioactivity was the cause of a lot of horrors in this case a giant spider.  I don't like spiders but I like this movie.

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1957) is on at 315pm and that is a really interesting movie about a guy who has to stop his transformation or deal with oblivion.   Crazy all the way through.

The Essentials this week is GIANT (1956) which is sort of a early version of the TV Show DALLAS and not for me, but you watch it and let me know how it was okay?

And Today is my mom's birthday-- I don't know if I'm supposed to reveal it but she's in Japan with my brother and wife so I won't hear about it for a week or so-- but she's 70 and she honestly doesn't look a day over 50!

Happy Birthday Mom!