ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Movie Month Comes to an End: My Number One Movie

I can't believe we made it through July.
Have I mentioned I hate July?  I'm not a big fan of August either, but July is the one I really don't like.  I'm not complaining-- we only had a few really brutal humid days, but I'm looking forward to some leaves changing and those cool October nights that are not that far away.

The movie month was fun-- covering a list of movies I have probably talked about before.  If I do this on a regular basis I'm going to set it so I can't post about a film twice.  Bear with me on that.

For August-- we return to themes.  I mentioned in a previous post what those were, but Movie Monday will remain-- I'll point out movies you should check out that are coming up for the week via your cable or satellite provider.

Happy End of July all!

Trying to decide my favorite movie is like trying to pick my favorite way to get a Million dollars-- it doesn't matter, the end is the thing.

I like movies like CASABLANCA and CITIZEN KANE-- as much as I like DIE HARD and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE.  For watchability sake-- I'd say I watch THE LOST BOYS, PSCYHO, JAWS and THE BIG SLEEP more than any other films in my collection-- at least several times a year.  I love the Marx Bros especially in DUCK SOUP and Bob Hope in GHOSTBREAKERS and MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE.  I dig the Charlie Chan films of the 30s and early 40s and am a big fan of both THE FALCON and THE SAINT.     I love Woody Allen's MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY and probably watch that at least once a month.

But hands down, my favorite movie of all time is THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.   It has a haunting magnificent score, impeccable acting from an absolutely perfect cast and a great story written by non other than Stephen King.  The story of hope amidst hopelessness, of friendship despite the odds, of going on when it seems like you can't-- this one knocks it out of the park for me.  It's a perfect Monday movie to get your week off to the right start and there's probably not a day that goes by that some of the dialogue or music pops into my head.  A winner from start to finish.