ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Saturday, July 2, 2011

July Experiment: SPider Babies

They say July is the hottest month of the year here in New England-- I'd argue that August holds that title, but I'm not a weatherman.   I hate the HHH days-- hazy, hot, humid.  Ugh.

A few of my friends love this weather and I honestly can't understand why.  Maybe they were baby spiders in a previous life so they love the heat and wet that reminds them of their days in the cocoon.  I hate spiders too, so I guess the universe is tied together.

To get through this god-awful month I'm turning the blog's attention to the thing I love almost as much as art and telling stories-- movies.

A different movie each day, recommended to you and why you should hunt it down.  Most of these will be readily available, but some may take some work to find.  If you're interested in locating the ones that are not commercially available drop me a line and I'll send you the email of a couple of collectors who might be able to help you, or just jump over to IMDB and see what they have to say about my picks.  Either way--  a month of movies to get us through these days of cookouts, bugs and changing your clothes three times a day.

First up;
SPIDER BABY
1968 Directed by Jack Hill
Stars; Lon Chaney, Carol Ohmart
Genre; Horror, Cult Bizarre

Spider Baby is one of those movies that make you scratch your head and wonder exactly what pills the film makers took when they came up with this one.  The story of a cannibalistic family who trap visitors who come to call on them is nowhere near as graphic or disgusting as it would be if they filmed it today.  It's done very much in the style of George Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) in that the violence is very stylized.

A strange and odd film which has become a cult classic.  Available from Netflix, occasionally shown on TCM (Usually in the middle of the night) and at Amazon.