ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Psst! Your comics are probably worthless!


If you instruct at WAM you may wonder where all those comic books came from that are now in the recycle room, I brought those in so please use em in your classes!



You see I get contacted a lot from folks who have friends or friends of friends with comics they are looking to sell them to retire.  They're almost always worthless and in this latest case I gave them $20 and took the four boxes to WAM where we can use them in our classes.

This latest batch was from a church group and I knew going in they were going to be junky.

"We have four big boxes of them, and they're really old ones too."

I've got comic experts like Ted Van Liew of Superworld Comics that I send people with valuable collections to, and he has his share of horror stories.

So let me give you some heads up as to what to look for...
OLD Comics Have cover prices of 10, 12, 15, 20 and 25 cents.  Yes there are some valuable ones with higher cover prices but in general those prices mean old.

Condition is everything.  The better the more valuable.  They should be flat, the pages not brittle and the cover still right with gloss.

You can find the age of the comic usually on the inside front cover or the first page of the book.  For the most part any comic book released after 1975 is not going to have any value unless it's in great shape.

Old is not 1993, old is 1951.

But still if you run across some old comics give me a shout and I'll help you out.
Just don't quit your day job yet.