ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Mentoring is your obligation.

Will Eisner told me the only obligation an artist has is to mentor the next generation of artists. That doesn't always mean working with kids, I've often mentored artists older than me, and as I left the meeting today for Art All State 26 held at WAM with my 15 fellow artist mentors Eisner's words ring in my head loud and clear.

I woke up the morning of the meeting at 530 with the dog growling at some sound on the property and a slight return bout of the Norovirus which it seems once you get it can take months before its completely out of your system.

But I dragged myself to the meeting and got through most of it, and I have to say new AAS Director Christopher Whitehead did an excellent job of giving us the tools we need to ensure the students we will be working with will get the most out of the experience that last weekend in May.

Veronica, also mentoring this year, followed along the meeting via remote control, and it was refreshing when WAM Director Matthias Waschek gave it to us straight about the difficulties in keeping this program going.