ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Friday, March 15, 2013

Teaching Art Students Real World Lessons


So there it was.
Months of hard work, promoting it to the point that even I was getting sick of hearing about it-- and it was really a blast.

Going through some old files as I backup pictures to my hard drive I found these pics from our opening at Space 242, I miss their regular showings-- they lost their space when THE DIG moved it's headquarters, but they've since started doing some pop up shows.

The crowd stayed consistent through the night and I'd estimate 3-400 people coming through,  and sales were really strong, which is also a nice bonus.

A few weekends ago we attended the COLLEGE SHOW at ArtsWorcester at the Aurora Gallery-- I'm always interested in seeing the new levels of talents coming into the professional art world.   

Much of the work was incredible, and I honestly can say there was nothing on display that didn't deserve to be there, but one or two lacked presentation.  If your work is going to hang in a show you need to think about matting, framing, etc., and it doesn't have to be expensive.  Most people tend to reframe artwork when they buy it anyway, but you need it to look professional.

I fault the instructors for not taking it to the next step-- helping them learn how to both finish their work and to hang it or make it ready to hang.

Sticking something in a poorly cut mat so that its uneven in its presentation can hurt a great looking piece of artwork.

Colleges need to teach not only technique to their art students, but also business strategies, methods of marketing, how to approach gallery spaces and how to make sure your work looks professional not only technically but in its presentation as well.

I'm not naming names, but I have a pile of letters from former students who thanked me for what they learned in my class and for the fact that I was always frank about what the real world of both fine art and freelancing would be like.

It's sometimes a hard pill to swallow, but its one that needs to be part of the learning process.