ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Monday, March 4, 2013

TCM This Week A DOG OF A WEEK

Tuesday is a day of dog movies, now I love dogs and I love movies but I don't love dog movies.  Lassie, Wolf and a whole host of other dogs will be on the screen.

TORRID ZONE (1940) is on Wednesday at 9am with Jimmy Cagney, Andy Devine and Ann Sheridan in a south of the border comedy-- which is actually pretty good and loosely based on The Front Page.

VALLEY OF THE GIANTS (1938) is on Thursday at 115pm, it's not as cool as it sounds, but its about Lumberjacks and the California redwoods.

NIGHT SONG (1948) is on after it with Dana Andrews, Hoagy Carmichael and Ethel Barrymore-- it's got a great cast, sounds a bit soap operaish and I've never seen it but I might give it a go.

Friday Alfred Hitchcock's STAGE FRIGHT (1950) is on at 730am, it's one of the few Hitch films I've never seen so you're on your own.

MAN IN THE ATTIC (1953) is on at 2pm with Jack Palance as a guy who MIGHT be Jack The Ripper taking a room in a lodging house.  Pretty good and worth your time and its this week's PIC.

Saturday at 915am tune in for CYCLOPS (1957) which is about a scientific expedition that discovers a 25 foot mutant-- it's directed by Bert I. Gordon and if you know who that is you'll know what this is like.  Bad but fun.

TORCHY GETS HER MAN is on at Noon-- this 1938 film is part of the long running series about the spicy girl reporter who was the basis for Lois Lane.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977) is on at 530pm if you're into literate sci fi (I myself am not) and Richard Dreyfus making a mountain out of mashed potatoes.  It makes me want to gouge my eyes out but its nowhere near as boring as 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY so there's that.

GRAND HOTEL (1932) is the Essentials this week, and that's good enough reason to watch it at 8pm.