ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentines Day!

For more terrifying vintage Valentines card click the link at the bottom of the post
You can read this post waiting for your reservations tonight!  I actually look forward to this holiday-- I look forward to ANY holiday that gets me through this absolutely horrific time of year.

I don't know if Puxatawny Phil saw his shadow or not-- I write these well in advance.  Someday I'm going to actually go to see the event and if he see's his Shadow (I think that's right) I'm going to beat him to death with a shovel.  Because it means six more weeks of winter.

I guess I should check my facts before I bash the little fella's brains out-- I'll make a note of it.

Got a GREAT email from a reader, mentioning the fact that I talk about the offerings from TCM each Monday-- cue Casey Kasem voice here:

"Dear Andy
I've tried watching old movies, I really have, but I find them SO boring I can't take it.  The writing, the acting, the pacing-- they just put me to sleep.  What am I doing wrong?
Signed- Desperate in Detroit"

Dear Detroit-- you aren't doing anything wrong.  Just like today-- there are good movies, great movies and movies that make me want to gouge my eyes out.  Not every movie can be CITIZEN KANE but thankfully not every movie is THE BLACK WIDOW (1954) either.

The latter is a "whodunnit" with Van Heflin and George Raft that is basically a crappy little movie made with a big budget.  I know there are people who like this movie,  but there are people who like Mutton too- so what can I say?

Try to find an actor you like-- and then go from there.

If you like Suave and well mannered-- try CARY GRANT;
His Girl Friday- Comedy
Arsenic and Old Lace - Comedy
North By Northwest - Spy Drama
Notorious - Thriller
Bringing Up Baby - Comedy
Destination Tokyo - Drama

If you want a world weary tough guy with a heart-- try HUMPHREY BOGART
The Maltese Falcon - Detective mystery
The Big Sleep - Detective mystery
Key Largo - Drama
To Have and Have Not - Romance Drama
Casablanca - Romance Drama
Sahara - Action drama

If you want a movie you won't be able to stop watching;
White Heat (1949) James Cagney is the craziest killer around
Wages of Fear (1953) French film with subtitles about desperate men
Diabolique (1954) French film about a murder plot

So there's a start for you-- don't give up!

Horrific Valentines Day Cards!