ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Gaijin Visits Japan Part II: Blue Goblin sighting is a sign of Jet Lag


We spent the first few days in Japan in the Shibuya district of Tokyo-- as a lifelong fan of big cities I was right at home.  We check into our luxury hotel where we have the top two floors with an amazing view and walls made almost entirely out of glass and decide to walk around the neighborhood for a little while.  It's about 7pm Japanese time which puts us at 7am US time and I've been awake for something along the lines of 36 straight hours.

I marvel at Tokyo.  It's clear I'm on the other side of the world.  There are seemingly six million people walking on the sidewalk with me, and about half that number on bicycles and yet there is an amazing respect of personal space- no one is bumping into me.

I'm also impressed that there is nary a pair of shorts or sweatpants anywhere-- EVERYONE is dressed in business casual-- no baseball hats either-- try finding that in an American city.  It's also frightfully clean and modern but with a very 60s feel-- almost as if we're seeing 2010 through the vision of 1962.

While Veronica stops in a store I lean against a railing and wait.  From nowhere a blue goblin skips along and sits up right next to me, at first paying me no mind despite my staring at him.  He must feel the stare because he glances over at me, tilts his tiny little hat and says in perfect English;

"Wee bit sleepy are ya?"

Halucinations are warning enough for me and I tell my lovely wife I'll meet her back at the hotel.  Intending to watch some TV until she gets back I'm out as soon as my head hits the pillow.

NEXT-- Eating in Tokyo