ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Ah Vacation!

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
-John F. Kennedy 

I think it speaks greatly about current politics and society that I cannot imagine a politician using the word 'whence' in a statement.   

I love the beach, I love the Ocean and for the very reasons JFK mentions-- I do feel like I'm returning to some grand starting point when I look out over the endless ocean stretching before me.  I feel so strongly about my feelings that I could never live in the middle of the country even though I love to visit some great cities like Des Moines and Cleveland (yes I said Cleveland), but I need an ocean to recharge my batteries.

To many people who don't like the beach-- I think it's because they think, like I once did, that THIS is what going to the beach is like;

Photo Courtesy SHUTTERSHOCK-- does THIS look like fun?
No my friends, when I go to the beach I don't go to sit among the masses and listen to someone else's Boom Box blasting Huey Lewis, nope, the beaches I go to look exactly like this;

Marconi Beach
Veronica and I got married about a mile from this beach, and this is where we will go and spend most of our time when we're on the Cape.   We'll visit Kalmus beach in Hyannis late afternoons and early night when it's virtually deserted, but I prefer beaches that look more like Charlton Heston might ride along and discover a half buried Statue of Liberty ala Planet of the Apes than anything else.

Marconi Beach is part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, and it takes a bit of walking to get here, which is what makes it great and keeps a lot of people away.

We just spent the better part of a week here and I'm back and ready to get to work.
Goodbye August, you were a welcome friend and behaved yourself.  Hello September-- really looking forward to the Fall.