ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Sunday, June 10, 2012

GREAT BATMAN ARTISTS #5: Frank Robbins


As a kid there was no other Batman artist I hated more than Frank Robbins-- and I was not alone in my feelings if the letters columns of the day were any indication.

As an adult--and as a professional artist-- I have changed my opinion 180 degrees.

I not only appreciate Robbins work, I love it.

I had no idea that he was the legendary cartoonist behind Johhny Hazard or that he was someone who knew more than I ever would in a dozen lifetimes, I just knew that it looked like he inked his work with a chalking gun and it looked incredibly messy.  Today I see it as brilliant.

What a difference 30 years makes.

Robbins run on Batman was long as a writer, but he only illustrated a handful of issues himself.

TOMORROW: TCM
TUESDAY: One of the truly unique takes on a character with a thousand unique takes.