ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist


You're reading his old blog-- so change your bookmarks to his NEW improved BLOG.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy April

I'm going to foresake my usual grumpiness about those who still feel the need to celebrate the start of April with a Fools Day prank-- I remember when a Boston TV News station did it many years ago and announced a volcano had erupted in Vermont resulting in panic and the firing of almost everyone in the News department.

Yes, I hear you asking-- don't I have a sense of humor?

As a matter of fact I do-- and I appreciate wit more than any other attribute among mankind-- but let's not confuse DUCK SOUP with THE HANGOVER.

It doesn't take wit to be an idiot.

MANY years ago we had a friend who had gotten so smitten with a girl that he gave up time to be with us to spend all his free time with her-- and she wasn't exactly a barrel of fun either.  She bossed him around so much we all wondered what he saw in her.

When he got a front license plate at a mall kiosk that had his name and hers and proudly showed us we realized he had gone too far.

Being real friends, we replaced that plate with a nearly identical one-- only this one had the guy's name and the name of his old girlfriend on it.  Identical in color and design-- when I attached the plate to the car I laughed myself silly over how clever we were.

We waited for days on end for him to react-- but there was no reaction.  It wasn't until almost a year later that he walked into a place where I was standing and lunged at me for what seemed like no good reason, I dodged his first swing and asked him what his problem was.

By the second or third one he explained that he saw the plate-- and by now I had completely forgotten about it but laughed myself silly anyway.

Now that was  a prank.