ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Saturday, February 11, 2012

New Respect for Frank Robbins



Frank Robbins was a huge legend in the world of action comic strips with his Johnny Hazard strip which ran from the 1940s to the 1970s.  In the mid 70s he started writing Batman in Detective Comics and even took over the art for a couple of issues.

When I first saw the work as a snot-nosed kid I hated it.  I thought it looked like he worked with a house painting brush but NOW as a professional I can certainly appreciate his work-- to the point that I would even call myself a big fan.

As an artist I can appreciate the difficulty in reducing to the most minor lines.  As a kid I hated the abstract artists like Robbins and even -- gulp!-- Jack Kirby, but now with knowledge and experience under my belt I can appreciate the work.