ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Monday, November 7, 2011

TCM Tonight; Film Noir!


As I lay in my Lazy Boy in my tattered Sweatshirt and matching sweatpants covered in the sad debris of Cheetos long since past, wallowing in my depression that Halloween is over and we're back to a season of 'regular' movies on TV-- I was delighted to find a triple feature on TCM tonight of my favorite film noirs.

First up at 8pm is THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1941) with Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd followed by another team   up of this dynamic duo in THE BLUE DAHLIA (1946)-- the first features Ladd as a hitman and the second as a guy who may or who may not have killed his cheating wife, but it doesn't matter because both films are strong and entertaining.

At 11:15pm is THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946) which features John Garfield and Lana Turner as a pair of illicit lovers who decide to kill her husband for the insurance money.  It sounds a lot like DOUBLE INDEMNITY and it is, but it has it's own merits and is a movie you shouldn't miss.

Saturday offers TARZAN AND THE JUNGLE BOY at Noon from 1968 which is Mike Henry's last outing as the ape man, at 3:45pm is the original THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) which was secretly directed by Howard Hawks and might just be the most literate monster film ever made.  It's the movie the kids are watching in John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN (1978) too.

At 8pm is THE BANK DICK (1940) with WC Fields which makes me laugh out loud-- and that's a hard thing to do.

Overall not a bad week, but I miss Halloween.