ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist


You're reading his old blog-- so change your bookmarks to his NEW improved BLOG.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Set some goals you slackers!

Drawing Trevor Von Eeden did for me
I walk into the art museum to discuss a project with one of my supervisors;

"It's a great idea, but there are a few people who think you already get special treatment here, so I don't know if..."

Okay- stop right there.  Special treatment??
Me?

Like when I get called into the office of the director because I taught a class how to splatter paint and forgot to put down tarp?  Or maybe when I got the elevator stuck when I agreed to a ride with Haru?  Or the time I taught a group of eight year olds how to make killer paper airplanes and then launched them into the lobby.

If I get any special treatment it's because life is a two way street.  I do a lot for the museum.  Interviews, promotions, special events.   I also go to openings and celebrations where I don't see a lot of my peers.  Those same peers who feel I get special treatment.   Maybe they're just too busy--I can certainly understand.  But if you can't find 30 minutes to attend an event maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.

It goes for everything-- setting goals are that way.

I ran into an old friend who happens to be a writer, it also happens that she hasn't written a whole lot in a long time.  She's busy.

"I don't know how you do it, all those books."  Add your own whiney voice here.

You know how I do it? I don't accept excuses, not from myself and not from other people.  I set goals for myself and I knock them down.

I don't waste my time feeling jealous over someone else's success, as a matter of fact I'm genuinely happy  when someone I know is doing well.   Wasting time wanting what someone else has is both an impossible task and a waste of time.

I don't have time to waste, and neither do you.
Get out there and get things done.