ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Saturday, September 24, 2011

BATMAN #1 Review


DC Comics relaunched all of their titles at the beginning of this month.  I've read JLA, Detective Comics, BatGirl and Action Comics #1's.  They've been a mixed bag-- I thought Detective and Batgirl were pretty solid but didn't get much out of JLA or Action-- in fact they just weren't comics to my liking and I found them a bit generic although the goal of those were to attract new readers so maybe I'm just not the intended audience.

This week BATMAN #1 launched by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.  I was going to pass on this one too-- but when I read that Scott Snyder was handling the writing and I really enjoyed his work on AMERICAN VAMPIRE so I grabbed this digital edition for my iTouch and I have to say it's the best of the titles I've read-- by a long shot.

Snyder has done something that has been lacking in Batman comics for a very long time-- he added a sense of humanity and even hope to the world of Gotham City in general and to Batman specifically. He also returned a sense of mystery providing the Dark Knight with clues to figure out the crime before him.  This is the old Batman-- the pre-psycho Batman of the most recent years-- and I'll stick around as long as he does.

You can read a preview of the book here.