ANDY FISH

ANDY FISH is a comic book artist

Friday, January 14, 2011

Digital Comics, Digital Books, E Readers

My color Nook is loaded, I just ordered a 16gb memory card so I can keep on going.  I've got the complete works of Robert E. Howard, Edgar Allan Poe, Conan Doyle, Edgar Rice Burroughs-- a collection of classic horror that runs over 6000 pages long, and dozens and dozens of comic books and graphic novels.  

I plan on replacing the nearly 10,000 books in my collection with digital editions.  The Color Nook blows away the black and white Nook and I already LOVED that one.  The Color one is perfect if you want to read comics or magazines that were designed to be in color, and it's lit screen means you don't have to use a book light with it.

At the forefront of the digital revolution is TWOMORROWS Publishing-- one of my absolute favorite publishers.  They produce the outstanding JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR, ALTER EGO, DRAW! and several other comics genre magazines that are essential to any budding comic artist.

TwoMorrows has it right-- if a printed book is $5.95 then the digital edition is $2.95-- a more than reasonable discount and you don't have to worry about keeping them in good condition.
There are a few other digital publishers out there, but to many it's still a new idea.

A word to the wise for my comic shop buddies, you'll need to figure out a way to get in on the digital revolution if you want to stay around.  If I owned one I'd be meeting with publishers to figure out a way readers could come into my store to preview their titles on their readers and be able to offer them some way to download or buy CD-Rom collections.

Because the revolution is coming my friends.  Paper will never completely go away, but like Radio it will never be king again.